– to improve overall experience of those using Atlanta Memorial Park by constructively addressing and resolving environmental issues impacting the Park and Peachtree Creek.
* Engage with the City of Atlanta Department of Watershed Management (DWM) to have DWM minimize and eliminate negative environmental impacts, including flooding and wet weather sewer overflows, in the Park and the Peachtree Creek Watershed Basin.
* Work with partners to improve and protect water quality in Peachtree Creek and the condition of the banks along Peachtree Creek.
* Collaborate with DWM and others to address any environmental issues impacting the Park.
What AMPC is doing:
* Technical Advisory Group (TAG) consisting of AMPC and DWM representatives was established after the flooding and sewer overflows in 2015 to assess environmental issues and to propose and implement solutions.
* AMPC/DWM meet regularly to review environmental concerns and the status of DWM projects addressing those concerns.
* AMPC communicates on an ongoing basis with the surrounding neighborhoods and others regarding environmental issues impacting the Park and DWM’s proposed solutions to improve capacity and efficiency in the Peachtree Creek Watershed Basin.
How has AMPC effected change (DWM Projects Planned/Completed):
* Peachtree Creek Trunk Stabilization Project – Inspection, cleaning and installation of a PVC liner system is underway in 11,000 LF of 96” pipe.
* Peachtree creek relief lines in Park cleared of approximately 300+ tons of debris.
* RM Clayton Plant Headworks Project recently completed, increasing system capacity.
* Aerial sewer crossings (Howell Mill/Woodward Way) to be removed starting Fall 2018.
* North Fork Storage Tank (15 MG) & Pump Station (75 MGD) ($105M) in planning and design stage and GA 400 site selection details being worked out.
* DWM regularly monitoring/diverting flows in the Peachtree Creek Basin to increase capacity, inspecting and cleaning sewer lines and removing debris build-up in Peachtree Creek.
Moving forward, AMPC will:
* Continue to be actively involved with DWM through TAG in the resolution of environmental issues impacting to Park.
* Continue to communicate AMPC’s efforts to improve the Park in the environmental area.
* Focus in coming months on the Peachtree Creek Streambank Restoration Project.
AMPC is grateful to the DWM and the members of the Memorial Park Technical Advisory Group for their ongoing work to tackle the issues in our park and the Peachtree Creek Sewer Basin.